Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday morning 7:46

Well it's only been three days since I last wrote yet so much has happened that I've probably already forgotten half of it.  First off, rehearsals are going great... they're scheduled from 11am to 6 pm everyday but you only have to be there for your scenes, then everyone returns at 5pm to go over what we did that day.  It may sound screwy but it works.  I like the way Tye(the director) works; he makes suggestions as to what you should consider and then refines it after seeing how you've interpreted it(hope that makes sense).  I was off yesterday but go back today at 1:00 after doing a pharmaceutical voiceover for Mike George at Creative Media Design.  
Friday night after rehearsal I caught up with Andi Healy, her boyfriend Max, and some other folks at the Cosmic Cantina in the East Village.  This place is pretty cool in that you can build your own burrito and then name it. Apparently they keep the ingredients and name in the computer so when you return you can ask for your named burrito and they know what to make. Some of our names were, "George", the "Kramer", and some name that Ethan came up with that I can't pronounce.  We also threw around names for Max's band.  "Sexicans" was the one we liked the most.  
Saturday Mary and I moved her furniture around to make room for my voice studio(so I can do auditions).  It turned out better than I could have hoped.  My studio sits in her dining alcove and looks pretty sexy(according to Mary).  The futon on which I sleep is in the living room.  I guess I'm kinda like the parent who hasn't quite gotten to the nursing home yet: sitting on the futon in my underwear, unshaven, scratching myself, yelling in a horse voice for a glass of water.  Or milk of magnesia.
After rehearsal I took the subway to meet up with Matt Crowley, a friend from Virginia who just happens to be up here for an interview about a possible teaching position.  A couple of friends of his had written and directed a film called "Shooting Johnson Roebling" and it was showing at the Tribeca Cinemas.  Pretty good flick, a dark comedy as it were.  After the film there was a reception in the bar at the theater and I got into a conversation with this woman who was in the film(can't remember her name now).  She's a soap star in Turkey, is getting ready to head back for 5 - 10 months, and was telling me how they shoot these things over there.  They're shot silent! and all the dialogue is added in later.  She says someone is off camera yelling the lines at you and you're supposed to say them just as you heard them.  She said it's very disconcerting.  I imagine!
After the reception, six of us headed to a mexican restaurant in Soho.  Can't remember the name(that seems to be a running theme here, no?) but the food and atmosphere were great and the waitress was patient with our tomfoolery.  Michael, Ava's boyfriend(I guess) paid for everything. Thank you Michael!
Then it was home on the 4-5-6.  I road with Vivianne, a beautiful woman from Kenya, who was with us that night.   We talked about all sorts of stuff and I'm hoping she can come see the show.  
Sunday!  Woke up, fell out of bed, took Donald for a walk through the campus of Columbia University.  Beautiful.  Then I got on Craig's list and found a used printer.  Bought it for $25 and so far it seems to be working fine.  Then after an early dinner, headed to the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas to catch "Man On Wire".  Incredible film about Phillipe Petit who walked a highwire strung between the towers of the World Trade Center in 1974.  I recommend this film highly.  Then it was over to Kathy's apartment in Brooklyn Heights for a couple of beers, pasta, and conversation before catching the "A" back to Harlem.  Whew!    

No comments: